Creating Comics from Start to Finish
Top Comic Pros Reveal the Complete Creative Process
By Buddy Scalera
Shipped: March, 2011
Available on Amazon, the Joker’s Child (comic shop), BN.com, and now for iPad in the Apple Store or as a Kindle Edition.
Get information and actionable advice from people who have made comic books their career. This book includes the stories of the people who are professional storytellers. Learn how they broke in…and how hard they must work to stay in this amazing business. Get good advice and some truly fascinating personal stories from the creators you respect and admire.
This educational reference book for creators details the complete workflow of comics from concept to completion. Rather than focus on just one small part of the business, “Creating Comics from Start to Finish” gives a deep, intelligent look at the people who create comic books for a living. It’s truly a comic school in book form for people considering a career in comic books.
Features an extended Q&A interview with legendary comic creator Stan Lee. “Let me put it this way,” says Stan Lee. “No matter what you’re doing, the more knowledge you have, the better you’ll do.”
Learn about every step in the process including writing, editing, penciling, inking, coloring, lettering, and even alternative careers like retailing. Check out the complete Table of Contents.
- Read the review by Examiner.com – The Art of Creating Comics
- Listen to a podcast of Buddy on Where Monsters Dwell. He is amusing.
- Listen to the podcast Deconstructing Comics as Tim Young and Shawn Williams review the book.
- Falcata Times book review blog said that the book is “a wonderful addition to any artist’s shelves, has great advice and even can help those with no artistic talent.” (We agree.)
- Read a full interview on Jazma Online about the making of the book
- Buddy writes a guest editorial for Broken Frontier in The Frontiersman #21 on Scribd, a downloadable digital magazine. Also available on Wowio.
- Buddy, the new book and the Joker’s Child comic shop on Patch.com.
- Comic Related: Reviews – Part 1
The book features interviews and career advice from successful creators including:
* Mike Marts – Editor – Batman, Detective Comics
* Mark Waid – Writer Kingdom Come, Flash, Irredeemable, Spider-Man
* Darick Robertson – Penciler Wolverine, The Boys, Transmetropolitan, Conan
* Rodney Ramos – Inker Green Lantern, Punisher
* Brian Haberlin – Colorist Witchblade, Spawn, Top Cow
* Chris Eliopoulos – Letterer Pet Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men
* Joe Quesada – Chief Creative Officer Marvel Comics
* Stan Lee – Former President, Chairman Marvel Comics
Cover by X-Men artist Alan Evans.
Paperback @ 176 pages
Publisher: Impact Books (March, 2011)
BONUS EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS:
Worksheet: Comic Book Publishing Cost Analysis
I acutally managed to submit my first comic following this, its a really good post, so if ya all see Genoma, the Omega or the Furies in store, know that it was thanks to this post.
Thanks for taking the time to write. I’m glad that you found the book useful. Good luck with your new comic!
This is an amazing book, thank you so much for putting it together. I highly recommend it to all my students 😉
Hey, thanks very much. I checked out your Facebook page. It looks like you’re an art teacher. Where do you teach? Tell me more!
Te cover of that book definitely ‘draws’ you in.